Snoring is common but it is not normal. Many people snore for various reasons. Some of the things that contribute are being overweight, smoking and drinking alcohol.
Did You know that snoring sounds range from 50 dB to 100 dB. That’s the equivalent of a pneumatic drill.
If you are someone who has a partner that snores that is no joke. Even sleeping in the spare room, or banishing the snorer to the sofa may not help.
So what can you do?
Zyppah, which is Happy Z spelt backwards, is a mouthpiece that claims to be the most popular hybrid snoring device.
Let’s look closer at what it may do. Read out review.
Table of Contents
- 1 Who Makes This Product?
- 2 What Is Zyppah?
- 3 How Does Zyppah Work
- 4 Noteworthy Features
- 5 Zyppah Side Effects
- 6 Who Can Use This Device?
- 7 Complaints & Issues
- 8 Zyppah Real Users Reviews
- 9 Zyppah: Packages, Prices & Where To Buy It
- 10 Return/Refund Policy
- 11 Zyppah Pros & Cons
- 12 Pros
- 13 Cons
- 14 Zyppah Review: Final Verdict
Who Makes This Product?
The product was designed by Dr Julian Greenberg. He is a former dentist with 30 years experience, 10 years of which was studying sleep apnea and snoring.
He has founded a successful company selling this product. The company is based in California. He also founded five Snore No More facilities throughout California. These specialize in helping people with snoring and sleep apnea.
Since launching in 2015, the device has sold over 200,000 units and generated $24,000,000 in cumulative sales. Revenue in 2017 was $13 million.
Zyppah is endorsed by actor and TV personality Bob Eubanks.
What Is Zyppah?
The product is a mandibular advancement device or MAD. It is combined with a tongue suppressor.
The MAD is designed to advance the lower jaw and open the airway while we sleep. The tongue suppressor stops our tongue from sliding backwards towards our throat.
We will look at why these two features are important in a moment.
Zyppah is made from materials which are BPA free. It has green thermoplastic and hard black plastic. It has a rubber tongue suppressor. The product has been cleared by the FDA asa Class 2 medical device.
You can fit the device to your mouth by the “boil and bite method. To do this:
- Put cold water and ice into a bowl and set aside for later.
- Boil some water.
- When water is boiling, transfer it to another bowl. You don’t want the device touching the sides of a hot pot.
- Place the device in the bowl containing hot water for 60 seconds.
- Remove it using some tongs. Let it cool for a few seconds.
- Hold it using the rubber strap.
- Make sure the word “Zyppah” is facing the right way.
- Place it inside your mouth.
- Connect your lower teeth with the exact point where the green thermoplastic touches the black hard plastic.
- Move your jaw slightly forward.
- Make sure the upper teeth are also resting against the hard plastic too.
- Bite down for 60 seconds.
- Take the device from your mouth and place it in the bowl of icy water.
- Leave it in the cold water for about 60 seconds to harden
- Once it is has cooled, place it in your mouth so that you can check the fit.
- If the fit is not right you can repeat the process.
Unlike other devices this one does not have a recessed tray for your teeth. Make sure you follow the directions and use a mirror if necessary.
How Does Zyppah Work
Firstly let’s look at why we snore.
There are many reasons why we may snore. The main one is partial obstruction of our airway when we sleep. This is caused by relaxation of the muscles in the tongue and soft tissues at the back of the throat. The throat muscles also relax. This can restrict our airway when we breathe.
When we sleep the lower jaw also relaxes. This can cause the surrounding muscles and tissue to relax. Gravity causes your tongue to slide backwards towards your throat. Your airway narrows. This restricts air flow. The air we breathe in vibrates and causes a noise. This is what we call snoring.
An MAD like this device aims to help open your airways. It does this by moving the jaw forward and away from the back of your throat. The tongue suppressor stops the tongue sliding back towards the the throat. This can reduce the air resistance that leads to snoring.
This sort of device may take a few nights to get used to. It does not appear to trigger gag reflexes. The rubber band is positioned in a place so it will not not bother you.
The addition of the tongue suppressor in Zyppah may make it more effective in opening your airways.
Zyppah Side Effects
The company advises that most people do not experience any side effects. It may however cause:
- Gingivitis or dental soreness.
- Pain or soreness in the jaw.
- Excessive salivation and drooling.
- Obstruction of oral breathing.
- Tooth Movement or change in dental occlusion.
Who Can Use This Device?
Zyppah is designed for adults over the age of 18 years.
You should not use this device:
- If you have full dentures, crowns, caps or bridgework that are loose.
- If you have dental implants that are less than a year old.
- If you are receiving orthodontic treatment or have braces or a retainer.
- If you have had or have jaw joint diseases or issues.
- If you have central sleep apnea. This is a medical condition.
- If you have obstructive sleep apnea. You should consult your doctor before using this device.
- If you have a respiratory disease like severe asthma or emphysema.
Complaints & Issues
The company is listed with the Better Business Bureau. It has a B rating.
There have been 100 logged complaints and 6 negative reviews. 61 of the complaints were in respect of problems with the product or customer service.
There is a huge mark up on this product. The company are advertising for funding. They report:
The ZYPPAH is manufactured entirely in the U.S. for $18 out the door and retails for $100.
Zyppah Real Users Reviews
There are many testimonials on the company website. There are also a lot of independent reviews from customers on other websites.
I received my Zyppah 5 weeks ago. The first week of using it my mouth and teeth were sore and I had extreme salivation for the first hour when I inserted it. I had read the instructions prior to using and was aware that I would probably experience these symptoms. I will admit that the first two weeks were pretty rough but then I started to sleep without waking myself up by snoring. Now I’m sleeping a deep restful sleep. No snoring and I am symptom-free. Now it’s a routine.I slip my Zyppah in my mouth and get a great night’s sleep.
There are many customers whose partners are very happy they bought Zyppah.
Ron T writes:
My wife loves it. She claims my snoring has stopped.
Then there are the people who have not had a good experience. Many report that device does not work. Some find it too uncomfortable to use.
Scott Evans writes:
Device actually pulls on your front teeth that causes pain. Secondly, they said you would get used to the tongue strap- yeah right. I couldn’t stop trying to swallow and then woke up at 3am with the same problem. Not recommended from me…
There are also many complaints about the durability of the product. Some find the thermoplastic does not last. Others report the tongue suppressor breaks.
Alan Jennings writes:
My Zyppah worked great but the rubber band broke after a few months and there is no warranty. For $100 you would think it would last at least a year or more. I think I will look at cheaper alternatives out there.
Zyppah: Packages, Prices & Where To Buy It
The device can be bought direct from the official company website – www.zyppah.com.
See below how the official site looks like.
The company offers a 90 day return guarantee.
They also state this can be extended if you need more time to adjust to your oral appliance. You just have to call our customer support line.
They also provide an additional 90 days if you purchase their SNAP cleanser.
You must call customer service to get a Returns Authorization and post via USPS.
You are given the option of a refund or a replacement device. They will also replace the device within 90 days if you have not molded it properly.
Zyppah Pros & Cons
Zyppah Review: Final Verdict
Whilst Zyppah is combines an MAD with a tongue suppressor it does seem to have issues.
Many people comment on its durability, price and comfort.
Then are are many people that are very happy with the device. They find it helps them stop snoring.
You may find this will work for you. You may no longer be banished to the spare room or the sofa. If not your do have a 90 day money back guarantee.
We laid out the facts, will you buy Zyppah? Comment below and tell us what you think!