We live in a time where many people are obsessed with weight. More so how to lose it.
About 70% of Americans are overweight or obese.
It’s little wonder why the market for supplements to aid weight loss is huge. There are many pills and shakes that claim to help us burn fat and lose weight.
One of the newer kids on the block in this market is Raspberry Ketone1.
In February 2012 Dr. Mehmet Oz featured Raspberry Ketone on his television show. He claimed it is a fat-buster and “The No. 1 Miracle in a Bottle”.
Demand for this supplement rocketed with many stores selling out of products. If you watch TV, read magazines, or look around on the internet you may already have heard of this supposed wonder supplement.
Is there any truth in these claims or is it hype? Let’s delve a bit deeper and find out.
What Is Raspberry Ketones Plus?
These ketones occur naturally in raspberries. They are what gives it a distinct flavor and aroma.
Candy, soaps and candles made today may use raspberry ketone to give them their berry taste and smell. These ketones can also be found in cranberries and blackberries. They contain nutrients including beta-carotene and vitamins A, E and C.
There are only trace amounts of raspberry ketone are found in the fruit. The supplements and berry-flavored foods use raspberry ketone produced in a lab.
Evolution Slimming is one company producing a raspberry ketone as a weight loss aid. This company is based in the South East of England. It sells supplements to support nutrition, health and beauty.
The company was founded in 2008 by Nick Curry. Nick’s wife opened a village based beauty and tanning salon. They also stocked a small amount of natural health slimming supplements. These sold so well that Nick set up an online business. This was a site where people could find, review and purchase health supplements.
The company now has a database of about 220,000 customers, generating 1,500 orders every day from 135 countries worldwide.
What Product Does This Company Offer?
The company offers the following products containing this ketone:
- Raspberry Ketone Pure Max Strength 600mg: This product contains pure raspberry ketones. There are no added ingredients and it is the strongest one in the range.
- Raspberry Ketone Plus: The company state this is their most popular product in the range.
- Raspberry Ketone 100mg: Another product with only raspberry ketones.
Raspberry Ketone Plus Ingredients
The main ingredient in these products is:
These have a similar molecular structure to capsaicin which is found in chili pepper. They also resemble synephrine which is a stimulant. Some studies have shown these two molecules may boost metabolism . It was thought that raspberry ketones may have a similar effect.
The other ingredients are:
May have many health benefits. This includes helping to lower fats such as cholesterol2.
Acai berry Extract
An antioxidant that may help reduce cholesterol3.
Green Tea Extract
Used in traditional medicine for many years, this may help weight loss4.
May help with weight loss and weight maintenance5.
Apple Cider Vinegar
May help reduce obesity6.
Has been shown to help weight loss in animals. More studies on humans are required.
Has been shown to help reduce cholesterol.7
How Does It Work?
Raspberry ketones have a similar molecular structure as two known fat burning compounds capsaicin and synephrine. These may make isolated fat cells break down fat and release a hormone called adiponectin.
One study conducted on fat cells from rats had two effects. It increased the breakdown of fat. This made them more sensitive to the effects of the fat burning hormone norepinephrine. It also made the fat cells release more of a hormone called adiponectin.
Adiponectin is believed to help metabolism and blood sugar levels. Thin people have higher levels of adiponectin than people who are overweight. The levels of this hormone increase when people lose weight.
It may be that raspberry ketones can raise adiponectin levels. This could help people lose weight.
It is worth noting that the clinical trials on these ketones have been carried out on animals. It is not known if they will have the same effect on humans. There is one study that suggests that raspberry ketones in a supplement with other ingredients may help body composition.
There is no clinical trial on this individual product.
Raspberry Ketone Plus Side Effects
The company state that Raspberry Ketone Plus is made from natural ingredients with no side effects.
They do however suggest that you check with your doctor if you are taking other medication.
Some people have reported side effects. These include jitteriness, increased blood pressure and rapid heart beat.
Raspberry Ketone Plus Reviews & Complaints
The company has a 4* rating on Trustpilot. 91% of reviews on their service and products are above average.
Raspberry Ketone Plus is sold direct from the company, independent reviews are not plentiful. I did find some older ones on Amazon. Of 9 reviews it received a 2.4* rating.
Only one of these reviews was positive.
Leonor Trujillo writes:
I use to eat everything, I am losing weight and feel great , I quit my gym, my appetite is suppressed and I don’t long for food
There are many positive reviews on the company website.
The first couple of days you don’t see much difference as your body is getting used to the tablets. I have been taking as instructed 10 minutes before breakfast and 10 minutes before lunch and in five day I have lost 1.5lbs not bad for the first couple of days! Hopefully the longer I keep taking them the more I will lose! I’ve tried to cut down on the snacks but I have had cheat ones but still losing some weight Is good!
Some people have found that this product does not work for them.
Have used it for 3 weeks now and nothing….disappointed as I was hoping for at least a pound or so…Dr. Oz has let me down this time.
It seems that some people hoped for great weight loss following the hype on this product.
I took pills for two weeks and haven’t lost a pound. They make it sound like the pounds melt off. I dieted and exercised but no results yet going on week three.
Raspberry Ketone Plus: Packages, Prices & Where To Buy It
The company ships worldwide. Shipping and handling charges apply. Rates vary depending on country. The rates can be found on the company website.
See below how the official site looks like.
The company will accept return of unopened, unused goods in their original condition. They must also be in date. This applies for 30 days from receipt of your goods.
There is a process on the company website to follow to request returns.
Shipping and Handling fees are non refundable.
Pros & Cons
Raspberry Ketone Plus Review: Final Verdict
So does this new kid on the block warrant its popularity?
It seems there are some suggestions that it may help burn fat and reduce weight. The clinical trials that suggest this were carried out on rats and mice. It would appear that more studies are needed to confirm or refute the efficacy of raspberry ketones for weight loss in humans.
Some people have experienced weight loss while taking Raspberry Ketone Plus. It is worth noting that most of this seems to be combined with a healthy diet and exercise. Could this weight loss be from that alone? Or has the product helped? You might want to try it and decide for yourself.
On the other hand you may be better off spending your time and energy concentrating on weight loss methods that are proven to work. Following a healthy diet and taking regular exercise. It seems the only sure fire way to lose weight is to make lasting changes in your lifestyle.
We laid out the facts, will you buy Raspberry Ketone Plus? Comment below and tell us what you think!
Read next: BurnerTEK Review 2020: Does It Really Work?
- Ulbricht, Catherine, et al. “Raspberry Ketone: an evidence-based systematic review by the natural standard research collaboration.” Alternative and Complementary Therapies 19.2 (2013): 98-100. https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/act.2013.19201
- Masibo, Martin, and Qian He. “Major mango polyphenols and their potential significance to human health.” Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety 7.4 (2008): 309-319. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2008.00047.x
- Hogan, Shelly, et al. “Antiproliferative and antioxidant properties of anthocyanin-rich extract from açai.” Food chemistry 118.2 (2010): 208-214. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308814609005585
- Hursel, Rick, Wolfgang Viechtbauer, and Margriet S. Westerterp-Plantenga. “The effects of green tea on weight loss and weight maintenance: a meta-analysis.” International journal of obesity 33.9 (2009): 956. https://www.nature.com/articles/ijo2009135?fbclid=IwAR2Nnnw4ulHwmlbfnBpwy3XL4MW3kHDv0SmNHIwmn7CQGsw4kPf1DfVbN6E
- Boozer, C. N., et al. “Herbal ephedra/caffeine for weight loss: a 6-month randomized safety and efficacy trial.” International Journal of Obesity 26.5 (2002): 593. https://www.nature.com/articles/0802023
- Budak, Nilgün H., et al. “Functional properties of vinegar.” Journal of food science 79.5 (2014): R757-R764. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/1750-3841.12434
- Cerda, J. J., et al. “The effects of grapefruit pectin on patients at risk for coronary heart disease without altering diet or lifestyle.” Clinical cardiology 11.9 (1988): 589-594. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/clc.4960110902