Fostering a healthy and strong immune system is high on the collective to-do list, especially in the midst of the COVID-19 1 outbreak.
You may be eating all the fruits and veggies you can stand, and popping Vitamin C supplements daily.
However, with social distancing making shopping difficult, you may be struggling to maintain a fridge full of fresh produce.
Plus, stress and uncertainty may be compromising your restorative sleep.
There’s another way to boost your immune system aside from multivitamins and a healthy lifestyle, and it’s bovine colostrum.
We’re taking a close look at Grass-Fed Colostrum by Ancestral Supplements, a New Zealand-sourced bovine colostrum capsule.
In our Grass-Fed Colostrum review, we assess the benefits, potential side-effects, customer experiences, pros, cons, and our final thoughts.
Is Grass-Fed Colostrum your answer to a strong immune system and excellent overall health?
What Is Grass-Fed Colostrum?
Grass-Fed Colostrum is a capsule-form supplement with one ingredient: bovine colostrum sourced from New Zealand cows.
Colostrum is the milky substance produced by female mammals right after they give birth.
It’s the first “drink” that baby mammals have after they are born, giving them a potent dose of vitamins and minerals to boost their immune systems.
Colostrum arms the baby mammal with everything they need to survive their dangerous first phases of life.
People choose to take Grass-Fed Colostrum for immune system boosting, exercise stamina, muscle building, anti-aging, and improved gut health.
About Ancestral Supplements
Ancestral Supplements is a Texas-based brand run by Brian Johnson.
Brian runs his business (and life) based on the diet, exercise, and lifestyle of early humans.
Ancestral Supplements offers a wide range of natural cow, sheep, and fish supplements such as fish eggs, beef collagen, beef intestines, beef lung, and beef thyroid.
They only make small batches (for quality control reasons) so their products aren’t always readily available.
Grass-Fed Colostrum Ingredients
New Zealand Grass-Fed Colostrum (Bovine) 1500 – 3000 mg per serving (500 mg per capsule).
Grass-Fed Colostrum contains a wide range of nutrients such as:
- Lactoferrin: a protein with antibacterial and antioxidant properties that also helps to transport iron (hence the “Ferrin” in the name) around the body. Lactoferrin has been used to treat and improve skin issues, ulcers, diarrhea, and improving immune response 2.
- Antibodies/immunoglobulin: IgA, IgD, IgE, IgG, and IgM are antibodies that recognize and destroy viruses and bacteria to protect you against illness and infection 3.
- Growth factors: EGF, TGF, PDF, and IGF I and II are growth factors that help the body to grow and repair skin, muscle, tissue, bones, and cartilage. They also help to repair DNA, making them excellent for anti-aging.
- Glycoproteins: these proteins help to keep the skin sturdy and healthy, protect important cells from stomach acids, and help white blood cells (immune cells) to roam the body looking for pathogens to destroy 4.
- Lysozyme: an antibacterial and antiviral substance that protects the body from illness 5.
- Amino acids: for building and growing muscles.
How Does Grass-Fed Colostrum Work?
Grass-Fed Colostrum works by providing the body with a potent dose of natural proteins, vitamins, minerals, growth factors, antioxidants, and antibodies that are created to help newborn mammals to survive the tough first phases of life.
The collection of nutrients boosts your body’s ability to grow and repair muscle, fight free radicals, fight bacteria, viruses, and infection, and keep the immune system firing on all cylinders.
Basically, it helps the body to function at an optimum level with all-natural nutrients.
Grass-Fed Colostrum Benefits
- Won’t add hormones or pesticides to your system.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Easy to take.
- Supports healthy skin.
- Helps with muscle building.
- Helps to speed injury recovery.
- Helps with regulating moods.
- Helps to reduce premature aging.
- Helps with energy levels and exercise stamina.
How To Use Grass-Fed Colostrum?
Take 3-6 capsules per day, with water, preferably in the morning before eating.
Grass-Fed Colostrum Side Effects
In general, bovine colostrum supplements are safe to take and are not associated with side-effects.
It does depend on the cows that the colostrum is sourced from and whether they are raised with hormones or pesticides.
Because Grass-Fed Colostrum does not contain any hormones, pesticides, or fillers, the risk of side-effects is even lower.
There are very few reviews describing side-effects when taking Grass-Fed Colostrum.
Someone mentioned that they developed pinworms since taking it, however, we couldn’t find sufficient evidence to support the likelihood of this.
Another person found that they experienced a sore stomach:
“Too early to tell. I did get an upset stomach after taking it a few times. I reduced my doses to see if it was too strong.”
Overall, we’re confident that Grass-Fed Colostrum doesn’t pose a high risk of side-effects.
However, it’s always best to check with your doctor first, so they can assess the safety of supplements against your medical history, medications, and health concerns.
Is Grass-Fed Colostrum FDA-Approved?
No, because the FDA doesn’t approve dietary supplements.
However, Ancestral Supplements sources their ingredients from GMO, pesticide, and hormone-free farms.
Plus, they also have their products 3rd-party tested for purity and safety.
Is Grass-Fed Colostrum A Scam?
No, we’re confident that Grass-Fed Colostrum (and Ancestral Supplements) is not a scam.
We haven’t uncovered any dirt on the company, and the product reviews across the brand are extremely high (we checked with a false review tracker and there’s no evidence of fake reviews).
What’s more, Ancestral Supplements is known for offering excellent customer service.
“Customer service is outstanding Brian the owner has answered my questions and has gone beyond the call of duty to help me with my healing process.”
“I can’t say enough good things about this colostrum and about the customer service.”
Grass-Fed Colostrum Reviews & Complaints
Let’s start with the negative reviews, of which there are very, very few.
This person simply found that Grass-Fed Colostrum didn’t garner any results:
“Well I’ve taken just about the full bottle, thought I’d wait to see if any change or results would happen after a while. Sad to say I didn’t see any results, nor anything negative”.
Now for the positive.
There are many long and descriptive reviews raving about the positive results experienced since taking Grass-Fed Colostrum.
Many people found that their workouts and muscle-building improved, and others found that they had improved digestion, strong immunity, clearer skin, and more energy.
“I have been able to increase weight and output at the gym and I don’t have the same aches and pains after a long run. It sounds cliche, but I just feel really good over all…energy, mood, body, mind. The pills are easy to swallow and easy on the stomach”.
“I added in the Colostrum to my daily routine a few weeks ago. I had heard about all the great effects it can have and I wasn’t sure how many of them I’d actually get, but it was even better than I imagined! I’m recovering faster from workouts, my digestion is a lot better, and my skin is even more cleared up”.
Grass-Fed Colostrum: Packages, Prices & Where To Buy It
Money Back Guarantee
This is what Ancestral Supplement offers in terms of returns:
“You may return any item purchased from Ancestral Supplements for any reason within thirty (30) days of purchase. Refunds for unopened items will be issued via your original form of payment”.
However, we’re unsure of what happens with opened or partially used products, and if you get a refund for these.
After all, you must use the product to know if it works for you, or if you encounter issues that warrant a return.
Contact Ancestral Supplements at firstname.lastname@example.org to be clear on your rights before purchasing.
See below how the official site looks like.
Grass-Fed Colostrum Pros & Cons
Grass-Fed Colostrum Review: Final Verdict
Grass-Fed Colostrum by Ancestral Supplements has excellent customer reviews reporting improved immunity, more muscle growth, and overall good health.
We’re pleased that there are very few negative reviews reporting side-effects, and that Ancestral Supplements is a helpful and transparent company as far as we can tell.
We’re impressed that the company sources colostrum from hormone, pesticide, and GMO-free pastures in New Zealand, and that they put their product through 3rd-party testing for quality.
While Grass-Fed Colostrum is rather costly, we think it’s worth giving it a try once your healthcare professional gives you the go-ahead.
However, you may find that it proves difficult to catch this product in stock, as Ancestral Supplements puts out small batches at once.
We laid out the facts, will you buy Grass-Fed Colostrum? Comment below and tell us what you think!
Read next: Immune Defence Review: Does It Really Work?
- Xu, Zhe, et al. “Pathological findings of COVID-19 associated with acute respiratory distress syndrome.” The Lancet respiratory medicine 8.4 (2020): 420-422. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30076-X/fulltext?fbclid=IwAR21jCbxVPMFr_8seoV0rN5BTn0xROg3Ha1Lna0VOnKnwIzYG7QbhFMEwqM
- Levay, P. Ferenc, and Margaretha Viljoen. “Lactoferrin: a general review.” Haematologica 80.3 (1995): 252-267. http://www.haematologica.org/content/80/3/252.short
- Chothia, Cyrus, et al. “Conformations of immunoglobulin hypervariable regions.” Nature 342.6252 (1989): 877-883. https://www.nature.com/articles/342877a0
- Marshall, R. D. “Glycoproteins.” Annual review of biochemistry 41.1 (1972): 673-702. https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/pdf/10.1146/annurev.bi.41.070172.003325
- Jollès, Pierre, and Jacqueline Jollès. “What’s new in lysozyme research?.” Molecular and cellular biochemistry 63.2 (1984): 165-189. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00285225