It is a newer anti-aging system that’s claimed to use a variety of moisturizers to help you get rid of signs of aging & repair the look of loose, crepey skin on your neck, chest, arms and legs.
Our verdict: 1.9/5
There are many products and procedures available to help make us look younger. Sometimes it’s hard to tell a person’s age by looking at them. They may have had botox treatments, fillers or even a facelift.
I find that I tend to look to the neck area to give me clue. To me it seems that the skin in this area is usually a bit of a tell tale sign as to someone’s age. No matter how smooth and taut their face may look there is generally some crepiness in the neck.
It’s a fact of life, we all get old, and this takes its toll on our skin. As we age our skin loses elasticity and becomes thinner. Our body produces less collagen which gives our skin firmness, and less elastin which gives our skin elasticity.
The effects of the sun, gravity and our lifestyle choices can all help this process along.
One of the signs of aging may be crepiness on the neck, decolletage, arms and hands. The skin starts to look thin and has criss crossed lines.
Crepe Erase is marketed as being “the number one solution for reversing dry, aging, crepey skin on the body”.
Is there any evidence to back up these claims? Let’s take a look.
Table of Contents
What Is Crepe Erase?
This product is marketed by Guthy Renke, who also market Proactiv and Meaningful Beauty among other products. Their marketing strategy uses series of Infomercials, TV ads, telemarketing and the Internet.
The product has celebrity endorsement from the actress Jane Seymour. It is also promoted by Dr Andrew Ordon, a certified Plastic Surgeon, and co presenter of the TV show The Doctors.
The company is registered with the Better Business Bureau and has an A+ rating. There are however 892 customer complaints logged with them.
The product claims to be:
The leading anti-aging body care system clinically shown to reverse crepey-looking skin.
But do these claims live up to expectation?
Products In This Range
There are seven products in the range:
- Exfoliating Body Polish – a body scrub that promises smoother, firmer, more radiant skin.
- Intensive Body Repair Treatment – a cream which may repair and condition the appearance of dry, aging, crepey skin on the neck, chest, arms and legs.
- Advance Firming Eye Serum – a serum to apparently smooth, lift and tighten the look of wrinkled, sagging, crepey skin around the eye area.
- Refining Facial Scrub – a cleanser and exfoliator.
- Restorative Facial Treatment – a moisturizer that allegedly smooths, tightens, and lifts the appearance of the facial skin.
- Ultra Hydrating Body Lotion – a body moisturizer.
- 4 in 1 Eye Renewal Capsules – an eye serum that possibly helps reduce puffiness, improve dark circles and smooth wrinkles.
Crepe Erase Ingredients
There is no detailed list provided on the company website of the quantities of each ingredient for their products. They are listed to some degree but in broad terms.
There is one ingredient that is common to all products, apart from the 4 in 1 Eye Renewal Serum. This is a patented ingredient called Trufirm. But what is in it?
Trufirm is a blend of:
- Apple – this is an antioxidant. Antioxidants can help prevent skin damage from sun exposure, among other things. A study has however shown that more research is necessary in relation to the use of antioxidants dermatologically.
- Dill – has been shown to help with skin elasticity.
- Sage – another antioxidant to help prevent damage from free radicals.
Whilst it would appear there is some clinical validation that these ingredients may help our skin maintain elasticity, there is no evidence that the formula works.
Other ingredients found in the product range are:
- Coconut Oil – has been shown to considerably hydrate the skin.
- Shea Butter – fat that is derived from the nuts of the Shea tree. It is rich in Vitamin C and has antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties.
- Cocoa Butter – type fat derived from the cocoa bean and is a natural moisturizer.
- Olive Oil – an antioxidant that can have beneficial effects after sun exposure.
- Beeswax – is a skin conditioning agent.
- Vitamin E – has been shown to increase the skin’s elasticity. It also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Olive Fruit Extract – is a skin conditioning agent.
- Cotton Thistle Extract – (found only in the Hydrating Body Lotion) can help the skin maintain moisture and help repair sun damaged skin.
Other ingredients worth noting are:
- Hyaluronic Acid – (found in the Eye Renewal Capsules) -this is a staple ingredient of most anti aging products. It can boost collagen and elasticity, and help reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Lactic Acid – ( found in the Exfoliating Body Polish) can help smooth skin and reduce wrinkles.
Does Crepe Erase Work?
The company claims that Trufirm is a breakthrough in Skin Science Care. The company relies heavily on the blend they call Trufirm which they say has been proven to visibly treat and improve the signs of aging skin while helping to promote healthy collagen and elastin.
The reason we get crepey skin is because our skin naturally thins as we age and the production of collagen and elastin slow down. These form the framework of our skin. It’s like a scaffolding holding it up. The more collagen and elastin your body has, the better the framework and the better the skin appears. Less wrinkles and more smoothness.
Ingredients that can help aged skin include retinoids, alpha hydroxy acids, or peptides. These ingredients can help encourage new cell growth and remove dead or damaged cells. Lactic acid, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and hyaluronic acid can also help to moisturize the skin and improve the appearance.
There are some ingredients in these products which will benefit our skin and help with moisturisation.There does appear to be a lack of ingredients that will help with collagen renewal and elastin, which causes the crepiness in the first place.
There are no independent studies to show the benefits of using these products. There is no proven evidence on the companies website either.
Crepe Erase Side Effects
There are no reported side effects but the company do advise you seek advice from your doctor if you are pregnant.
Some customers have reported irritation after using the product.
It is always safer to check with your doctor or do a patch test when using any new product.
Crepe Erase Reviews & Complaints
Of 211 reviews on Amazon for the Intensive Body Repair Treatment:
- 36 percent rated it 5 stars
- 47 percent rated 3 stars or less.
Of 112 reviews on Highya.com 78 percent rated the products with 1 star.
There are obviously some people that are happy with their purchase.
Penny J Rush writes:
Best I have used for moisture areas like my arms and my chest and even put around my eyes along with my eye cream. I am 56 and receive compliments on my neck and chest area. This cream helps a lot!
Then come the negative reviews.
They range from the product not working, being greasy or causing irritation and redness.
The complaints about the customer service and auto ship scheme are numerous and we will come to that issue in a moment.
Joan Fischer writes:
Does not work at all. How can the movie stars advertise this and have people who are not in their position financially waste their money on this??
When you order from the company website you are automatically signed up for repeat shipments, and further charges to your credit card.
Regina J Huffman is one unhappy customer:
First, it was advertised as $59.95: to find out after ordering it was $59.95 for 3 months. It did nothing as to what it advertised. I have paid $180 for nothing. It’s a complete rip off and a scam. You are wasting money if you buy this.
Looking at the checkout process on their website, it clearly states that you will be signed up for auto shipment going forward. You have no option to get out of this other than calling customer service to cancel it. I will cover this further when we look at pricing.
Some people have even gone so far as to cancel their credit cards because the customer service do not deliver on any promises they make.
Crepe Erase: Packages, Prices & Where To Buy
The products can be bought direct from the Crepe Erase website, or through their approved outlets, Amazon.Com, QVC or Kohls.
The pricing on the company website reads:
The wording on the Order Summary seems very confusing, it reads:
For today’s Crepe Erase Maximum Results System you will be charged 1 payment of $59.95 plus $5.99 shipping and handling.
One month after your first order is shipped, and then every three months thereafter, you will be sent a new full size supply of Crepe Erase.
Each shipment will be charged to the card you provide today, in three monthly payments at the guaranteed low price of $59.95 plus $3.99 for shipping and handling per month,unless you call to cancel.
I find it misleading that the company advertises one price then charges three times that amount.
The wording on the Order Summary is ambiguous, three monthly payments could be interpreted as a payment every three months in line with the dispatch of the product.
By my reckoning you will get shipped five lots of product in a 10 month period of the Five Piece Maximum Results System. The total charge for this will be $64.94 for the initial payment inc. S&H, then $63.94 per month.
If you decided to call and opt out of the auto shipment you would still be paying $193.82 for your one supply of this product.
The company does have a 60 day money back guarantee, less S & H, this also extends to Amazon purchases.
See below how the official site looks like.
Crepe Erase Pros & Cons
Crepe Erase Review: Final Words
The bottom line here, after the research I have done, is that I would not recommend this product to a friend.
Customer reviews, in the main, are negative. There is no scientific back up that this product will work.
From customer complaints, the customer services are widely criticized, as are the companies advertising practices.
Even if the product does work, one of my main concerns is the auto ship that you cannot opt out of until after you order. Then you have to call customer services and this process appears to be less than successful.
This product does seem to work for some people. Personally I would opt for a cheaper moisturizer from my local store. I might even invest in visiting a professional for more invasive treatment.
We laid out the facts, will you buy Crepe Erase? Comment below and tell us what you think!