Stretch marks1 , unfortunately, are inevitable, and are also incredibly common, in fact, it’s estimated that around 80% of the world’s population has some stretch marks.
Plain and simple, nobody likes stretch marks.
However, for many people, visible stretch marks can be a deterrent to living the life they want to live.
It can cause people to go to extreme lengths to cover their skin, or stop them from partaking in activities which may reveal their stretch marks all together.
If that sounds like you, we encourage you to continue reading as we reveal our best stretch mark removal creams for 2019.
This will act as a comprehensive guide moving forward to allow you to get back to living your life stretch mark free.
There are many reasons for developing pesky stretch marks.
Some of this reasons include inevitable causes pregnancy and, of course, getting older.
But there are also reasons such as excessive weight gain and loss which are inevitable.
According to experts, stretch marks are for the most part inevitable.
When our skin remains dry or when we gain weight, our skin will develop stretch marks quicker.
That is why tips like remaining hydrated, keeping a healthy weight and eating foods full of essential elements such as Vitamins and zinc are really effective in delaying the development of stretch marks.
When it comes to solving the problem, there are some home products that are very effective, but for those who want to buy a product that they can put their trust in, our experts have recommended the top 5 creams and oils.
There is a suitable cream or oil for each type of stretch marks, that is why you should not use any cream or oil without consulting your dermatologist.
Here are our top 5 best stretch marks removal creams and oils in 2019.
Ranking: Best Stretch Marks Removal 2019
Our first choice is Bio Oil which is one of the best and most well regarded skincare products on the market.
It reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, stretch marks, and scars and improves the elasticity and texture of the skin.
It also works as a moisturizer for dry skin.
The manufacturing company states that it is the number one skincare product in over 17 countries including USA, Ireland, Guatemala, Peru, Russia, and Turkey.
The line of Bio Oil was first released in 2002 and it is among the top skincare products in this niche since its inception.
The blend of vitamins, extracts, and other ingredients are made in a certain formula to ensure that it will be well-absorbed via the skin.
What is it?
Surprisingly the company that makes Bio Oil is not well-known.
However the product itself is a worldwide hit, in fact Bio Oil has won 224 skincare awards according to the product’s page on Amazon.
The product follows the standards of the World Health Organisation and all the ingredients used are well-researched and tested.
Bio Oil is the perfect product if you want an ageless oil to remove your wrinkles and age marks.
Bio Oil contains many ingredients which increase its chance to affect your skin positively.
Here are some of these ingredients.
- Rosemary Oil: It has antimicrobial effects so it keeps the skin safe against infections and bacteria so subsequently it has an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Chamomile Oil: It has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects so it helps skin in the healing process. It also affects the mood by lowering stress which may be a cause of skin wrinkles2.
- Vitamin A (Retinol): Our skin sheds all the time; that is a fact. Vitamin A regulates this shedding. It also cleanses the skin and improves its pigmentation3.
- Lavender Oil: A traditional oil that is well-known for its ability to destroy any harmful organisms and to have a relaxing effect. It contains antioxidants which prevent skin damage4 .
- Vitamin E: It is an antioxidant and it keeps the product functional time after time5 .
How it works
The blend of ingredients in Bio Oil is essential for skin care.
It is not a specialized product that aims to solve a specific problem, it is a general product.
It is effective against problems such as stretch marks, sun spots, dry skin, and age marks.
When you use Bio Oil routinely, you will provide your skin with all the essential elements it requires for optimal health.
Price and Buying Info
Mederma is without doubt one of the best stretch marks in the market currently.
It is the only skincare product that combines the nourishing botanicals and Cepalin together.
It is also absorbed quickly and free of dyes and paraben.
It can be used for scars, stretch marks, and dry skin.
The blend of ingredients helps people who are looking for a product to prevent stretch marks especially pregnant women.
It is a practical product that will keep the elasticity and moisture of your skin.
What is it?
Merz Pharmaceuticals which is the manufacturing company of Mederma is one of the oldest companies in the skincare industry.
It was established in 1908 and its products are among the best on the market.
Mederma which was released in the market in 1990 is designed to decrease the appearance of stretch marks.
The company makes sure that all the products are suitable for pregnant and nursing women.
In addition, Mederma is suitable for old scars and new scars.
There are three active ingredients in Mederma.
- Cepalin: This is the main ingredient in Mederma. It is an extract from the Allium Cepa6 which is capable of preventing and reducing inflammation and swellings. It is proven to be effective against the production of the tissue of scars. In other words, it does not allow scars to overgrow which improves scar’s appearance and structure.
- Hyaluronic acid: It is considered one of the best ingredients included in all skincare products. Hyaluronic acid is anti-inflammatory and makes a mechanical barrier that prevents external organisms from invading wounds7 .
- Centella Asiatica plant: It is a traditional plant used to treat minor wounds and skin irritations. It is proven to be effective against stretch marks8.
How it works
This cream works as a moisturizer that keeps your skin nourishing and hydrated.
Pregnant women are allowed to use it form the second trimester and is safe to use during breastfeeding too, making it a great choice for keeping pregnancy stretch marks away.
It improves the appearance of stretch marks, reduces any discolorations, and makes your skin smooth and soft.
Price and Buying Info
Our third choice is Palmers Cocoa Butter.
You will find this product in nearly all reviews about skincare products.
It is mainly designed to treat rough skin by healing and softening it.
If you have scars or stretch marks, Palmers will make it softer by improving your skin’s texture and elasticity.
The blend of ingredients is proven to be effective against any kind of stretch marks.
It is the favorite product of dermatologists when pregnant women ask for something to use to get rid of stretch marks.
What is it?
Palmer’s Company which is the manufacturing company of this product is well-known in the field of skincare products.
It produces many skincare products and its lines have a great customer satisfaction score.
When a product comes from a reliable company, you know that the results are guaranteed.
Its ingredients are all natural and free of any kind of chemicals.
Here are the active ingredients in Palmers Cocoa Butter.
- Cacao Extract: Can nourish your skin by making it full of nutrients9.
- Palm Oil: It is well-known for its moisturizing effects. It increases the smoothness of your skin which reduces the appearance of stretch marks
- Glycerine: It is one of the natural ingredients that add water to your skin to keep it hydrated, which will prevent the skin from stretching10.
- Cocoa Seed Butter Extract: This extract contains vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin D and other essential elements. It is added to this product to guarantee the results11.
- Water: It dilutes all the ingredients so your skin will be able to absorb them quickly and efficiently.
How it works
Palmers Cocoa Butter guarantees that your skin will remain hydrated.
Any kind of wrinkling, fine lines, stretch marks or scars will disappear.
It will improve the elasticity of your skin and makes it smoother and softer.
Price and Buying Info
If you have heard of Strivectin, then you are looking for a product that can be applied to your skin to take care of the puffiness under your eyes, the dark circles and any kind of wrinkle, especially around the eyes.
It is one of the most well known anti-aging products on the market, as the manufacturing company claims that it can deal with many different kinds of skin problems.
What is it?
Strivectin-SD which is the manufacturing company of Strivectin is an amazing company.
The company offers its customers clean products with high quality ingredients and manufacturing standards.
It is a visionary company that is considered one of the leaders in the industry.
They offer their customers products that are produced with science, experience, and welfare in mind.
The main active ingredient in Strivectin is Oligo-peptide that is proven to be effective against wrinkles and aging spots more than vitamin C and retinol.
Palmitoyl pentapeptide-3 and palmitoyl oligopeptide are also among the active ingredients.
They increase the production of collagen and fibronectin which are essential for skin care.
Strivectin contains some other ingredients that are mainly moisturizers, emollients, thickeners, stabilizers, vitamins, and preservatives.
We can classify the ingredients of Strivectin into two groups, the active ingredients and additional ingredients.
- The Active Ingredients.
Oligo-peptide is the main active ingredient in this product.
In 2002, many studies proved that it is more effective as a skincare product than vitamin C and Retinol.
The fine lines and wrinkles disappear in shorter time with Oligo-peptide than Retinol and Vitamin C.
Also the main side effect which is irritation is less with Oligo-peptide than any other active ingredient known.
Other active ingredients are palmitoyl pentapeptide-3 and palmitoyl oligopeptide which increase collagen production.
They also increase the production of fibronectin that binds both elastin and collagen.
Palmitoyl oligopeptide has been proven to increase the collagen of human skin.
- Other ingredients.
The following points will include most of the ingredients within Strivectin.
- You will find in Strivectin moisturizing ingredients like Shea and mango kinds of butter, sweet almond oil, and sesame oil. These moisturizing ingredients are great for dry skin.
- The ingredients include also vitamin A and anti-oxidants.
- Peppermint oil is one of the ingredients that should not be included in Strivectin. It causes irritation especially in people with sensitive skin.
How it works
Here is how Strivectin works and why it has become such a widely popular product.
- It improves the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and stretch marks.
- It diminishes weight gain stretch marks. The results appear within 2 weeks.
- The benefits of Strivectin are not just superficial for cosmetic purposes but they are also deep as Strivectin helps in rebuilding the skin layers making them better for a longer time.
- It makes and keeps the skin hydrated so it is suitable if your skin looks dull and aged. It contains many moisturizers.
- It works for all skin types. Strivectin does not work only if you are allergic to one of its ingredients. Otherwise, it works with dry and oily skin types perfectly.
- Strivectin strengthens skin barriers making skin able to fight against age spots, wrinkles, stresses, and damages better.
Price and Buying Info
Our last product on this list is a very popular one for treating stretch marks and scars.
It is designed to hydrate the skin and provide it with the maximum protection.
If you suffer from keloids, dark spots, scars even surgical scars, fine lines, wrinkles, and stretch marks, this product may be your best choice.
What is it?
Body Merry is a reputable company in the personal care industry especially skincare products.
They strive to make some of the most innovative products in their industry.
Here are some of the active ingredients in Body Merry.
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice: It has an anti-inflammatory effect, a calming effect and a healing effect especially orally12 .
- Glycerine: It is one of the natural ingredients that add hydration to your skin to keep it moist.
- Niacinamide: It protects the skin against UV and reduces the appearance of age spots and wrinkles.
- Panthenol: It is a derivative of vitamin B5 that works as a moisturizer13.
- Ethylhexylglycerin: This is a substitute for parabens14 .
How it works
All the ingredients used in this product are beneficial and proven to be effective in improving the skin’s moisture content and elasticity.
The majority of the ingredients are organic and naturally sourced too making it a good natural alternative to many other skin care products.
Body Merry makes your skin smoother and hydrated and reduces the stretch marks, fine lines, and wrinkles.
Customers typically report that it is most effective on dry skin for reducing stretch marks and increasing skins hydration.
Price and Buying Info
How To Maximize Your Results
Stretch marks for many people can be a big cause of distress, especially if they are in highly visible areas.
And while we have 100% faith in the products listed throughout this article, there are also several additional ways in which you can reduce your visible stretch marks from home.
These following tips on how to maximize your results are designed to act in a supplementary manner to the products listed.
And for the very best results, you should incorporate both the product and all 5 of our tips below to speed up the process.
Hydration is key, drinking plenty of water every day not only hydrates you, but it also hydrates your skin.
Hydrated skin will mean that it stays soft and supple all day long.
The reason why this is beneficial is that soft skin has a tendency to not stretch and develop stretch marks as what dry skin does.
So hydration is important for minimizing the stretch mark risk, plus you will feel better in general!
Ensuring you have a balanced diet is another big factor in reducing your risk for stretch marks.
For optimal skin health, try increasing the nutrient density of your foods.
Increasing vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, zinc, and protein are all shown to boost skin health.
Having a diet high in these will ensure your skin is glowing all day long and has plenty of elasticity so it can stretch and bounce back in a normal way without developing any stretch marks.
If your scales look like a Yo-Yo, you run a very high risk of developing stretch marks.
It’s well known that gaining weight quickly can cause stretch marks to form, as the skin can’t produce new skin cells at a rate that matches your weight gain.
So if you are constantly gaining and losing weight, there’s a very high chance you will develop stretch marks in some areas.
In order to prevent this, try and either maintain your weight within a healthy range or make very slow weight loss/gain targets so that your skin can adjust and grow accordingly.
Sunlight is well documented to have great effects on the skin in moderation.
And there is also a good chance that it can help not only the reduction of stretch marks but also the prevention of stretch marks before they occur.
Some studies have found correlations between low levels of vitamin D from and the incidence of stretch marks.
So from there, we can make the assumption that an increase in vitamin D is going to be good for reducing stretch marks.
It’s important to act on stretch marks as soon as they make an appearance on your skin.
So as soon as you notice the little red lines forming, start using some of the creams and oils we have recommended in our list in conjunction with utilizing all these additional steps to minimize the risk of these marks growing any further.
And as you most likely already know, stretch marks can quickly creep up on you, so make sure you have a thorough check of areas such as arms, abdomen, chest and lower back a few times a week to ensure none are forming, especially if your weight is fluctuating.
As we all know, stretch marks can be a cause for stress, especially if they are in a highly visible area.
And many people often go for years without dealing with the issue, when the reality is, they could be reduced in as little as 30 days.
We stand by all the products we have recommended throughout this review, and have put significant research into sourcing the very best products available in 2019.
And we are confident that when used as directed, and in conjunction with our at home remedies, you can make significant improvements in the appearance of your stretch marks.
The time taken to completely remove stretch marks will depend on their location and severity, however by starting the journey you will be one step closer to stretch mark free skin.
- Young, Gavin, and David Jewell. “Creams for preventing stretch marks in pregnancy.” Cochrane database of systematic reviews 1 (1996). https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000066/abstract
- Al-Snafi, Ali Esmail. “Medical importance of Anthemis nobilis (Chamaemelum nobile)-a review.” As. J. Pharm. Sci. Technol 6.2 (2016): 89-95. https://www.academia.edu/download/48797593/132.pdf
- Kafi, Reza, et al. “Improvement of naturally aged skin with vitamin a (retinol).” Archives of dermatology 143.5 (2007): 606-612. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamadermatology/article-abstract/412795
- Hajiali, Hadi, et al. “Alginate–lavender nanofibers with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory activity to effectively promote burn healing.” Journal of Materials Chemistry B 4.9 (2016): 1686-1695. https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2016/tb/c5tb02174j/unauth#!divAbstract
- Traber, Maret G., and Jeffrey Atkinson. “Vitamin E, antioxidant and nothing more.” Free radical biology and medicine 43.1 (2007): 4-15. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0891584907002195
- Ramos, Freddy A., et al. “Antibacterial and antioxidant activities of quercetin oxidation products from yellow onion (Allium cepa) skin.” Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 54.10 (2006): 3551-3557. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf060251c
- Halachmi, S., D. Amitai Ben, and M. Lapidoth. “Treatment of acne scars with hyaluronic acid: an improved approach.” Journal of drugs in dermatology: JDD 12.7 (2013): e121-3. https://europepmc.org/abstract/med/23884503
- Shukla, A., et al. “In vitro and in vivo wound healing activity of asiaticoside isolated from Centella asiatica.” Journal of ethnopharmacology 65.1 (1999): 1-11. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S037887419800141X
- Cádiz-Gurrea, MdlL, et al. “Isolation, comprehensive characterization and antioxidant activities of Theobroma cacao extract.” Journal of functional foods 10 (2014): 485-498. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1756464614002448
- Orth, Donald S., and Yohini Appa. “1 8 Glycerine: A Natural Ingredient for Moisturizing Skin.” Dry skin and moisturizers: chemistry and function 2 (1999): 213. https://books.google.pl/books?hl=en&lr=&id=JpfgVgb62nsC&oi=fnd&pg=PA213&dq=glycerine+skin&ots=fmygu2zgBl&sig=citB2idpBydyc6RVUgjjgpPqGGw&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=glycerine%20skin&f=false
- Osman, H., et al. “Cocoa butter lotion for prevention of striae gravidarum: a double‐blind, randomised and placebo‐controlled trial.” BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 115.9 (2008): 1138-1142. https://obgyn.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2008.01796.x
- Hu, Yun, Juan Xu, and Qiuhui Hu. “Evaluation of antioxidant potential of Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis Miller) extracts.” Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 51.26 (2003): 7788-7791. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf034255i
- Camargo Jr, Flávio B., Lorena R. Gaspar, and Patrícia MBG Maia Campos. “Skin moisturizing effects of panthenol-based formulations.” Journal of cosmetic science 62.4 (2011): 361. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/29f8/5e7b925f71483995027c89bf7d757c64f1a0.pdf
- Leschke, M. “Ethylhexylglycerin for a improved skin feel.” SÖFW Journal 136.8 (2010): 10. http://schulke-us.com/CTSC12sofw/SOFWarticle.pdf